The Leschkes

The Leschkes

Monday, November 4, 2013

27 weeks




2 major blessings this week! First, Tom’s dad detected a cardiac anomaly and underwent immediate bypass surgery to avoid a potential tragedy. It was scary and unexpected; but we are all so thankful that it was caught in time, that the surgery was successful, and that recovery is well underway. We love you, Grandpa John!

Second, Baby Leschke’s cousin was born!! Sarah had her beautiful baby girl, Emmeline Rose, on November 5th at 9:18am. She was 8lbs.4oz and 20 inches of pure perfection. Because I have to save my paid time off work for maternity leave, I was not able to be in Saint Louis for her birth – which made for quite an emotional day. To celebrate from afar, I baked red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, made my birth announcement chalkboard (see above), and went to BabyGap with Tom to pick out a present for little Em. It was so hard to miss her actual birthday, but my family sent pictures and updates throughout the day (and week) to help keep us involved and informed. I can’t wait until Friday when I finally get to meet my brand new niece (and Baby’s closest-aged cousin!).

We also got to spend some good quality time with new and old friends this past weekend. On Friday, we relaxed by the fire and made s’mores with our med school gang, and on Saturday we attended the wedding of one of my best friends from high school, Adam Wilms. It was so great to catch up with some of our old friends from Oshkosh and, most importantly, celebrate the marriage of Adam and his beautiful bride. Congratulations to the newlyweds!

In this final week of the second trimester, Baby weighs about 2 pounds, measures around 14.5 inches long, and is approximately the size of a head of cauliflower. She’s developing more brain tissue (allowing for more neurological activity), and if she were to be born now, her tiny lungs would be capable of functioning (with some medical help)! Baby is opening and closing her eyes, sucking her fingers, and sleeping/waking at regular intervals.

And, for the first time this week, I felt the baby having hiccups! The website I consulted about these tiny rhythmic movements reassured me that sensing hiccups is common in this stage of pregnancy, that they only last a few moments, and that they don’t distress the baby at all. So I was advised to just “relax and enjoy the tickle.” ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment