The Leschkes

The Leschkes

Monday, November 25, 2013

30 weeks




I’ve arrived at the big 3-0! Back in the single digits, teens, and twenties, I sometimes felt like I’d never make it this far. Now with the holidays fast approaching, it seems like the thirties will go by quickly and we’ll be holding our bundle of joy in no time!

I know Tom is sensing the nearness of Baby’s arrival, too, because he decided to set up the nursery this week! This was a big deal because he was originally very adamant that his office could not be transformed into the baby’s room until after his first set of rotations (i.e. 2014). For someone who likes to plan and prepare for things far in advance, this was a hard pill for me to swallow. So imagine my surprise and delight when he declared this weekend to be nursery weekend!  We spent Saturday moving the office furniture into our main living area (and rearranging the space); and then spent Sunday assembling the crib and converting the empty room into the nursery.

Tom was offered help from numerous male family member and friends, but he insisted on building the crib all by himself – as a “right of passage” of sorts. And he definitely earned his man card (or dad card?) putting that beast together. Even though all I did was supervise, read instructions, peel off stickers, and hold bolts; I have absolutely no doubt that our baby will be safe and sound in the crib his father assembled for him.  Way to go, Daddy! 

  
Tom and I also got to see our baby again this week at my fetal growth ultrasound. Turns out he is measuring perfect average right now (~43rd percentile), but may be coming a few days early! My doctor said she’ll order another ultrasound closer to delivery if I’m still measuring consistently ahead of schedule. But as of now my fluid levels are normal and Baby Leschke still looks “perfect.” The ultrasound technician said “we have a cutie in there” and that he has his mother’s cheekbones! The 3-D images of his little face brought tears to my eyes. 



 
Finally, we had our very first birthing class today! If I had to sum it up in one word it would be: terrifying. The videos of natural labor were painful just to watch, and I was blissfully unaware of how long labor and delivery can take altogether. All I can do is hope that the rest of the classes will help prepare me for what’s to come and remind myself that it’ll all be worth it in the end!

Baby is almost 16 inches long now and weighs close to 3 pounds (although our ultrasound estimated closer to 3 ½ for Baby L), making him roughly the size of a large head of cabbage. He’s causing all sorts of trouble for his mother, including crazy cravings (mostly for chocolate, grilled cheese, and blueberry muffins), virtual inability to sleep, dry eyes, and a nasty case of reflux. It’s a good thing he’s so darn cute… ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment