The Leschkes

The Leschkes

Monday, August 19, 2013

16 weeks




Greetings from purgatory! I must have spoken too soon about starting to feel better, because yesterday was undoubtedly the worst day of my pregnancy so far. I woke up at 5am with a blinding headache that would not allow me to fall back asleep…and proceeded to spend the rest of the day exhausted, in agonizing pain, and eventually throwing up. It was so bad that I started to feel weak and feverish by midday. To make matters worse, Tom was on overnight call and thus unavailable to monitor my temperature and force me to drink the appropriate fluids (per usual). Luckily, when doctor-to-be finally arrived home, he brought me some soup, got ice packs for my forehead, and put me to bed. What a guy.

I wish I could say my experience yesterday was a fluke or some short-lived, random bout of illness…but my headaches have been pretty relentless over the past week. For the most part, I’ve been having them all day every day –to the point where sometimes my only options are to take medication or go to sleep. Since sleep is not always a viable option (particularly in the middle of the workday), I have been turning to acetaminophen – which helps dull the pain, but is not a safe, permanent solution. I’m counting down the days until my next OB appointment on Friday to get some much-needed advice.

On a happier note, one of my best friends from high school visited Wisconsin this week! I’ve known Lauren since the first grade, and had the pleasure of living in the same city as her for the better part of 22 years. So when Tom and I left Indianapolis after college and she stayed, it was a tough transition. Seeing each other so infrequently over the past 3 years has been hard on us, so I always treasure the time we do get to spend together. And when we finally are able to catch up in person, it’s like no time has passed at all. The mark of a true friendship if you ask me!

As far as Baby goes, s/he is about the size of an avocado: 3 ½ ounces and 4 ½ inches long. Plus, s/he is expected to grow in height and double his/her weight this week! And here I thought my belly already “popped”– can’t wait to see what next week brings. Hopefully it will come with less headaches ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment