The Leschkes

The Leschkes

Monday, October 14, 2013

24 weeks




Pretty tough week this week. Tom was put on the overnight shift at the hospital, so we hardly saw each other for 7 days straight. It really made us realize how much we take for granted the simple joy of each other’s company every day. But Tom eased the loneliness by leaving me a sweet letter on my pillow, sending texts when he had a few moments to spare, and even attempting to stay up one morning to say hi to me when my alarm went off…even though he fell asleep mid-sentence in an upright position. Poor guy. Needless to say, we are both looking forward to getting back to our normal routine.

As for our baby, he gained 4 ounces in the past week! – putting him at about 1 1/3 pounds. He’s almost a whole foot long (about the length of an ear of corn) and is starting to “plump up.” His taste buds are emerging and his brain is growing rapidly.  Baby’s lungs are developing branches and producing cells that make surfactant, which will help his lungs inflate after birth. And if he is born now (God forbid), he actually has a chance of survival. While we are praying for a healthy, full-term baby – of course – it is still comforting to know that modern medicine could keep our beloved little one alive now should he decide to come early.

My friend Jackie and I started prenatal yoga this week, making for some nice pregnancy bonding time with each other and with our babies. It was fun to meet everyone in the class and make time for some safe exercise, stretching, and relaxation. It was a welcome escape from my busy schedule to really focus on this pregnancy and contemplate the little soul living inside me. He is so precious to me already.
Present for Baby Knabel

Speaking of Jackie, the Knabels found out this week 
that their baby is a….GIRL! After so many months of 
convincing ourselves that she was having a boy and I was 
having a girl, the news shocked us both. It left Jackie 
wondering if her baby girl will have a best friend or future husband in Baby Leschke. Official guesses so far are:

Grandpa Vandenberg (a renowned gender predictor): Girl
Grandpa Leschke: Boy
Aunt Sarah: Girl
Uncle Jack: Girl
'Auntie' Lauren: Boy

It’s fun to make guesses and hear people’s predictions, but no one will know for sure until February!!

Final big development this week was seeing the baby move for the first time! I was sitting down with my laptop when I felt some particularly strong movement, so I lifted my shirt and – sure enough – he was squirming beneath my skin in plain sight. I tried to take a video with my phone to send to Tom, but by then it was too late: Baby was resting comfortably in his new position. Hopefully he’ll show off for Daddy again soon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment