The Leschkes

The Leschkes

Monday, September 30, 2013

22 weeks




At 22 weeks, babies are generally around 11 inches long and almost 1 pound…so we can all assume that Baby Leschke is a little bigger than that ;) With his eyes, eyebrows, and lips becoming more distinct, he is starting to resemble a mini-newborn. He’s got little tooth buds developing under his gums and irises forming behind his lids. Baby is also sporting hair on his body and wrinkles in his skin!

My favorite development this week is actually feeling baby getting stronger inside me. Movements that used to feel like subtle flutters or butterflies are now growing into more obvious punches and kicks. And as Baby is moving and kicking more, I’m beginning to notice a pattern in his activity levels throughout the day – which is fun! He seems to be awake most consistently around 9am, 2pm, 5pm, and 10pm. Baby also tends to stir after I’ve eaten a meal (around noon and 7pm). Maybe he doesn’t like sharing his belly room with a full stomach….or maybe he’s just giving me a few “thank you” nudges for feeding him. Either way, I love feeling him more noticeably and more often, and getting to know him and his routine.

Now that I’m feeling a little better physically and gradually getting some appetite back, there are definitely a few things I’m starting to miss about not being pregnant:
1) Wine. Not so much beer or cocktails yet, but the untouched wine bottles in the rack at home are definitely calling my name.
2) Daily coffee. The smell of it used to send me running to the bathroom, and now it makes me drool all over myself.  Mornings are just not the same without it.
3) Eating whatever I want. I’m tired of scouring the menu at restaurants for options that don’t include deli meat, soft cheese, raw egg ingredients, or undercooked beef. Just once, I’d like to go somewhere without asking what has been pasteurized or sending meat back that isn’t truly “well done.”
4) Unlimited caffeine. Can’t pick up a latte or soda without counting milligrams or feeling a twinge of guilt. I have definitely been craving my fair share of milk and water, but have trouble resisting a warm Starbucks beverage on a chilly fall morning or a refreshing bubbly pop to go with my pizza.
5) Knowing which small spaces I will fit through. Gross misjudgments of my belly size have gotten me caught between a human and the water cooler at work one too many times. Note to self: accidental butt rubs with coworkers are ill-advised.

Finally, this mama-to-be will be turning the big 2-6 on Wednesday!  Tom was sweet enough to take over the chalkboard this week (after I had done the “22 weeks” part) to write me a happy birthday message from Baby. He also took me to the Elegant Farmer this past weekend to celebrate pregnancy-style! We had a delicious gourmet lunch at the deli; took a train ride to East Troy for ice cream sodas at an old-fashioned parlor; went apple picking; and raided the market for an award-winning caramel apple pie, fresh-baked cookies, hand-dipped caramel apples, gourmet popcorn, and specialty buttered cider! Best fall birthday celebration ever. And hands-down the most delicious... 




No comments:

Post a Comment