The Leschkes

The Leschkes

Monday, February 3, 2014

40 weeks




BABY LESCHKE IS DUE TODAY!! But it seems, in true Vandenberg/Leschke style, he is going to be fashionably late. After so many weeks of anticipating an early arrival, it’s hard to believe that my due date is here and the baby is not. But I just keep reminding myself that I won’t be pregnant forever (right?!?), and the end is definitely near.

In fact, Baby has officially been given an eviction notice. At my last scheduled prenatal appointment on Friday, my doctor discussed the risks of carrying past my due date (especially considering my family history of preeclampsia and macrosomia) versus the risks/benefits of induction, and decided that she would check my progress again on Tuesday morning to re-evaluate. If my cervix is more “favorable” then (increasing the likelihood of a successful vaginal delivery), she will induce me. If I need a little more time and fetal non-stress testing is normal, she will wait until Thursday night. Plus there’s always the chance that I will go into labor on my own before then! But no matter what happens, Tom and I will be holding our baby boy or girl by Friday of this week.

So Dear Baby,
This is it. We’ve had 40 crazy, unpredictable, magical weeks together, and now our days are numbered. Looking back, it’s astounding to think how far we’ve come and how fast you’ve grown. I know we went through some rough times (the nausea/vomiting of the first trimester, the headaches of the second trimester, the aching/swelling of the third trimester – to mention a few), but I have a secret to tell you: it was all worth it. That’s right, no matter how horribly miserable I was at any point in time during this pregnancy (and believe you me, there were some pretty low points), I wouldn’t go back and change a single thing. Because deep down I know that every moment I spent bent over the toilet; every hormonal, irrational outburst; every blinding headache; every kick in the bladder or punch in the ribs; and every ache, pain, or discomfort; has led to you. You, a perfect little combination of your father and I. A fully developed newborn baby. A miracle of God.

And although part of me wants to be selfish and carry you with me forever, it’s time to share you with the rest of the world. I know I will miss feeling your aerobics, your hiccups, your cravings, your warmth. And you will probably miss my shelter, my protection, my heat, my heartbeat. But out here I will get to hold you and kiss you, look into your eyes, and see your sweet face. Out here, you will get to meet your Daddy, who has been patiently waiting for his turn to know you like I do.  And the world might be a scary place sometimes, but we will comfort you, protect you, guide you, and love you every single day for the rest of our lives.

You are our firstborn. You are the beginning of our family. You will make us a mother and a father. We promise to honor those roles and be the very best parents we can be for you. So come on out and join us. Come meet all the people who already adore you. Come be showered with affection. Come greet the world and the endless possibilities it holds for you. Come start this new chapter in our lives. Because while the conclusion of this pregnancy feels like the end of something, you and I know better, Baby. It’s really just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment